Digital Marketing is essential for any industry or company size. It`s the most effective and cost-effective way to grow your business. However, it`s not always easy to find the right strategy for your particular needs. To build your company, you need the best digital strategies that fit in your current stage of growth.
Which strategies are best for your company, though, and still relevant to consumers today? We will break down some of the most effective digital marketing strategies for 2020.
A digital growth or digital marketing strategy is an action plan that defines the roadmap towards your digital marketing goals. It explains how your strategy will accomplish your goals, such as increasing your visitors, increasing your lead generation, lower your costs by six percent.
Without internet marketing strategies, your business does not have a roadmap to achieve its goals. You might already know what you want to achieve, but you don`t know how exactly.
Digital marketing is an investment, and as with every investment, you need to have an investment plan. In this case, a digital marketing plan.
The core of a strategy can be defined in 8 steps.
- Define your brand: If you don`t have a brand guideline, start with creating this. Think about your USPs (unique selling points), value proposition, brand voice, history, mission statement, color palette and typestyle. And how you can utilize this in your online campaigns.
- Define your buyer personas: A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and real data about your existing customers. Consider including demographics, motivations, and behavior patterns. What does drive people to choose your products and services?
- Create your S.M.A.R.T. goals: SMART goals are established using a specific set of criteria that ensure your goals are attainable. SMART stands for specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. Defining through the SMART framework eliminates generalities and guesswork, sets a clear finish line, and makes it much easier to track progress and identify missed targets.
- Prioritize your digital marketing strategies: Don`t just focus on what is trendy at the moment. Make sure you focus on what offers the most value for your business according to your previously defined SMART goals. Local SEO, for example, is very trendy and useful in 2020, but customers might already find you easily through Google. Or they cannot find you accurately yet, but in your time-bound goal, you defined you need to increase revenue within a month. In that case, going for a PPC campaign might be a better choice.
- Set your digital marketing budget: The US Small business administration suggests 7-8% of your gross revenue should go towards your marketing budget, with about 42% of that dedicated to digital marketing. The average digital marketing budget for most businesses ranges between the $2,500 and $12,000 per month.
- Brainstorm your strategy: If you are planning to advertise, research thoroughly what platforms you should advertise on. Lead generation for law-related services won`t have much effect on Instagram, for example. Google Ads would be a better choice. How can you reach your buyer-persona the most effective way, does the advertisement platform allow me to target the criteria of the buyer persona? If you are publishing content, prioritize what needs to be released first according to your SMART goals. And create a content calendar for at least 3-6 months to achieve those goals.
- Launch your Campaign: Now that your strategy is well defined, it`s time to launch your campaigns. But before you start, make sure that you have all the tracking options implemented.
- Tracking of results & goals: Make sure that you can measure the performance of your strategies by tracking various goals. Standard tools used for this are Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and Google ads. They can help you track the ROI of the strategies and provide you with valuable data to act on. For example, with Google Ads, you might have keywords that are spending a lot of your budget but are not helping with the conversions. By eliminating those keywords, and putting more focus on what is converting, you can achieve a higher ROI.
With these steps, your business can launch its first digital marketing strategy. If you don`t have the time, or not getting the results you hoped for. Consider hiring a digital marketing firm like Digital Growth to get the best results possible.
The six digital marketing marketing strategies to use in 2020
In short, SEO is ranking your website for keywords and phrases closely related to your business or commercial intent of your products and services. By getting search traffic from those keywords, the right people will see your brand and visit your website and might become a customer.
To get people who are actively searching for your products and services to your website. If you are a business lawyer, you want to be found for keywords like “ (Country) company registration, (City) company registration, Best business law firm (Country).” Or be found for common questions that already interested customers might have. We call this top of funnel content, creating valuable content that solves problems or challenges.
Well, 80% of consumers do their research online. And after searching for something, 50% of discovers a new service or product. With an SEO strategy, your service or product could be one of those. The total searches per day on Google are around 5.6 billion, so there is a lot of activity to tap into. And a lot of missed opportunities if you don`t!
You do need a good SEO strategy because almost nobody goes past the first page of the search results. Just look at yourself, how many times did you look on page 2 or 3? Getting in the top 10 is very important because the user already found what they are looking for on the first page.
Even if your product is 10x better and cheaper, this will mean nothing if they didn`t find you first.
How much are you missing out? If your keywords have a combined search volume of let`s say 10000 monthly searches.
The top 10 positions will get this % of the search traffic:
- Number 1 will get about 32.5%
- Number 2 will get about 17.6%
- Number 3 will get about 11.4%
- Number 4 will get about 8.1%
- Number 5 will get about 6.1%
- Number 6 will get about 4.4%
- Number 7 will get about 3.5%
- Number 8 will get about 3.1%
- Number 9 will get about 2.6%
- Number 10 will get about 2.4%
- All other results a combined of 8.3%
If your conversion rate is the industry average of 2.35%, and your product or service is worth a $1000.
When you are number 1, you will get about 3250 visitors, with 76 converting customers. That would be $76,000,-
When you are ranking somewhere on the second page, you might get 1 or 3 conversions if you are lucky. That would be $1000, or $3000,-
I think this makes it clear why SEO should be in your Digital marketing strategy. Otherwise, that money will go to other companies.
PAY-PER-CLICK ADVERTISING (PPC)
PPC is a powerful digital marketing strategy, and depending on your cost per click for the keywords, it can be cost-effective as well.
What is PPC?
PPC stands for “pay per click” and is an auction-based form of paid advertising.
You make ads on a platform like Google ads that link to the desired page. Then you configure the keywords that you want to show the ads for. These keywords have an associated cost per click, which you can bid on. And ideally, you want to be somewhere in the top 3 positions to get the most clicks and targeted traffic to your specific pages.
When a user clicks on your ad, you will pay the amount that is set in your bid. This means you only pay for results, and not for the ad space itself.
For example, you are a digital marketing agency in London, and you want to be found for the keyword “Digital Marketing Service London” you can create an ad and set a bit for the defined keyword. Then whenever somebody searches Digital Marketing Service London, you can be found above the organic positions in Google search. Please see the screenshot below for the visual example:
With PPC, it`s imperative to focus on your ROI and not spend money on keywords that not have the right intention. You want to bid on keywords and optimize your ads only for commercial intent. This means that the potential customer is ready to buy your service or product.
Let me show you a bad and good example of keyword targeting with commercial intent for the web development industry:
Bad: “Web development” – This is too broad, and the intention behind it could be something for research purposes. What it is, how to do it etc. This is not where you want to put your money
Good: “Web development pricing” – This could still be researching, but it means they are looking for prices of websites. They are in the research phase but are probably willing to spend money on building a website.
Good: “Web Development agency (City)” – If there is search traffic for this keyword in your city or country, it will be useful to invest in it. The buyer is searching for a professional team that can help with their wishes in a specific city. This keyword has a high commercial intent.
What is the goal of PPC?
To reach searchers with the right commercial intent and getting them to precisely the right spot on your website for this. Once they are on your website, you want to have a call to action in place or a live chat where you can start a conversation yourself. Or give out a free guide in exchange for submission to your newsletter. And track those results in your PPC platform so you can keep optimizing your campaign and achieve the highest ROI.
Why should you use PPC as a digital marketing strategy?
PPC is the method that will give you the quickest results. Once you launch your ads, within minutes, you start to receive traffic. And in some cases, we got leads for clients within HOURS of launching a campaign.
Where SEO is the long term strategy, PPC is the best fix for a short term strategy. And they work very well together as well. If your ranking drops from the first page to the second in the organic ranking, you can launch a temporary campaign for that keyword so you don`t lose your traffic and leads for example.
And the fact that Google processes 60,000+ searches per second makes it a vast resource to be found on and the number one platform to do your advertising.
Think PPC is the right strategy for your business? But not sure if you have the proper knowledge to run a successful campaign?
Then we would be happy to help you achieve a high ROI PPC campaign. Contact us for a free consultation, and we help you with the best digital marketing strategy for your company.
You probably heard of the term “Content is king” in the digital marketing world. And this has a good reason.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is a digital marketing technique to reach, engage, and connect with consumers by distributing relevant, consistent and valuable content. This content can be different types of material such as infographics, blog posts, videos, meme`s, podcasts, guides, checklists and anything else that is valuable to your target audience. This is mostly informational content and not focused on sales.
Content marketing helps you to reach customers that are still in the first two steps of the buying cycle. Which are awareness and research.
For people that don`t know the 4 buying cycles:
- Awareness – The customer may have a need, but didn`t know yet there was a solution.
- Research – The customer is aware there is a solution, but it not sure yet what the best solution is. For example, you need to buy a new laptop. You know where you can buy laptops online, but which one is the best for your requirements and budget? This is the research phase.
- Consideration – The client now knows which laptop he wants to buy. But which website has the best deal for him? The client will start comparing different vendors until he finds the best deal.
- Buy – Customer knows now precisely what he wants, and will start the transaction as soon as he is able too.
With content marketing, you create content that supports the awareness and research phase of your target audience. If you sell kitchen knife sharpeners, you could write an article about how to maintain your kitchen knife. Or an article about the top 5 ways to sharpen your knife where you explain your knife sharpener product as the number one method.
This way, the client that was researching for sharpening methods suddenly found the best solution! Which could result in a sale.
What is content marketing`s goal?
Providing valuable information to your target audience to support their awareness and research phase of your products and services. With the intent of driving more traffic and generate more conversions by optimizing your content for search engines.
Why use content marketing for your online marketing strategy?
If you are able to write the content yourself, content marketing can be the most cost-effective digital marketing strategy. If you can write up 500 to 1000 words a day, you can cover a lot of subjects in your industry that your potential client might be searching for. This builds trust and authority to your audience, but towards Google as well.
This content on your website, you can then share through different social media channels, all for free. It will enable you to connect with your target audience and answers their questions and needs. And besides that, Google will register the social signals towards your website as well.
The results are permanent, you could have written an article 2 years ago and still receive leads and sales through that article.
Content marketing is an ideal technique to target your audience in each stage of the AIDA funnel ( Awareness, Interest, Desire, and Action). And also supports your SEO efforts greatly.
Social Media Marketing
Social media is immensely popular, and there are billions of users online on these platforms daily. It makes sense to tap into this activity to reach your goals.
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing focuses on increasing conversions and brand awareness. Social media marketing can be done on many different platforms, with each platform it`s own purpose.
The most popular social media marketing platforms are:
Facebook – 1.59 billion users worldwide. All kinds of businesses and industries can promote and advertise on Facebook.
Twitter – 230 million active users worldwide. The best company types that should use this platform are new organizations, SaaS companies, sport-related businesses, and marketing companies. If your business is about things that are happening right now, Twitter is the place to go.
Instagram – 400 million users worldwide. The best company types that should use this platform are image friendly companies like restaurants, clothing companies, photographers, architecture, travel agencies etc.
Pinterest – 250 million users worldwide. E-commerce companies are the best match for Pinterest. Fashion, jewelers, photographers, hobby-related products etc.
LinkedIn – 575 million users worldwide. All freelancers, individuals and professional businesses should be on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a gold mine for HR companies and is also a tremendous B2B sales tool.
Why should you use Social media marketing as your digital marketing strategy?
You can reach a large number of potential customers that are daily active on social media platforms. Those users spend 25% of their internet time per day on these platforms which makes it a perfect place to connect.
Many users like to use social media to contact business support or want to contact a representative of the company for questions about the product or service. If you are not on this platform as a business, you leave users with limited options to contact your business, which results in lost opportunities and will have an effect on your potential revenue.
That`s why it`s essential to be active on social media as a business.
If a photo’s worth a thousand words, then how much more valuable is a video?
What is Video Marketing?
Video marketing is a part of content marketing, but with a particular focus on creating informational and valuable videos for your target audience.
Videos can be categorized in different types such as:
- Event videos
- Brand Videos
- Behind the scenes
- Product reviews
- Explainer videos
- Live streaming
Video marketing is a great way to support your content marketing efforts. In the knife sharpener example of the content marketing section, we talked about creating an article about “the top 5 ways to sharpen your knife”. Wouldn`t it be great for your potential customer in the research phase to see a demonstration of the best method, WITH your product?
Like content marketing, video marketing can influence purchases made by users. And can be mixed with many other digital marketing strategies such as email marketing, content marketing, Youtube SEO and even Google ads!